This week I tasted my first strawberries of the season. Lady’s Slipper orchids appear in the woods. In our wedding ceremony garden, the irises, lupins and bachelors’ buttons unveil new blooms each day. The spring rains and warming weather bring a bounty of growth to central Virginia and fun May activities beckon- all just a short drive from Montfair. May is an invigorating time to experience the Blue Ridge Mountains, the famous Shenandoah National Park, and our local vineyards and farms. You can also enjoy the beauty of our own property, perhaps while attending a Wednesday Paddleboard Yoga class on the lake.
Are you ready? Summer’s around the corner, but the secrets of spring still call. Here’s a small sampling of things to do during your stay in May:
- Wildflower weekend in the Shenandoah National Park. May 7th-8th
- The Abundance of May at Pharsalia. Tuesday, May 17th
- Live music at Glass House Winery on Wednesdays
- Paddleboard Yoga with Mango Yoga Adventures on the lake at Montfair, Wednesdays beginning May 18th.
- Pick your own strawberries at Chiles Orchard or Critzer Family Farm
- Swannanoa Palace Open House. May 21st-29th
- Kids to Parks Day in the Shenandoah National Park. Saturday May 21st.
- Other Shenandoah Centennial Events (The National Parks celebrate 100 years in 2016)